National Service Scheme (NSS)
The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Gandhiji's Centenary year, 1969 with the primary objective of developing the personality and character of the student youth through voluntary community service. ‘Education through Service’ is the purpose of the NSS. The ideological orientation of the NSS is inspired by the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi. Very appropriately, the motto of NSS is “NOT ME, BUT YOU”. An NSS volunteer places the ‘community’ before ‘self’.
NSS unit exists in the College of Home Science/Community Science and run under the guidance of a NSS in-charge. This additional duty is allotted to a faculty member of the college by the Dean of the college. Special camp is organized for first, second and third year students once a year in usually adopted villages by the University. Two- three one day camps are also organized throughout the year. Many activities like plantation, blood donation , health and hygiene camps, Self defense trainings and yoga classes are organized for the students which benefit the students and the help them build a strong, responsible citizen of the country .The students are graded out of 100 at the end of the year.
- Organizing guest lectures on various topics for the overall social and personality development of the NSS volunteers
- Celebration of various days
- Tree plantation programme and Blood donation camps are organized
- Undertaking shramdan/cleaning campaign from time to time under the “Swach Bharat Mission” in college and adopted village.
- Organizing rallies on various topics like girl education, literacy, balanced diet, health and hygiene etc.
Special winter camp activities
Every year special winter camp is organized in the adopted village as well as college premises. Various programs are undertaken as follows:
- Guest lectures on various topics
- Tree plantation programme
- Cleaning of village surroundings, Schools and temples.
- cleaning of college classrooms, laboratories and hostel premises
- Organizing rallies on various social issues
- Practicing yoga and other health and hygiene activities
- Best NSS volunteer is awarded every year at college level
- Created awareness among the public to vote before the elections held this year
The volunteers are greatly benefited by various NSS activities. The activities help in building a strong personality and creating positive attitude towards life. It helps volunteers to imbibe self discipline and practice healthy habits in day to day life.
- College NSS Unit Conducts 14 days Cleanliness Campaign - Published on 16-08-2017 02:32PM